I don't have the words to tell you how wonderful the last year has been. And it's not just me who is unable put the feelings into words, there are few people who can... Most people will start talking about what their child means to them, and they always end by saying... 'well, it's hard to understand until you have a kid of your own'. The reason they say that is because it's true!
The day you were born was an amazing day. I would say I loved you from the day I found out I was pregnant, but the amount of love I felt for you when you were placed in my arms, was a billion times more than that. And each day since then, the love I have for you has continued to grow.
As you get older, I promise to always try to listen to you, give you a chance to experience new things, make sure you have a chance to try things on your own, and show you the importance of family and of loving God. I hope to show you that a sense of humor can take you farther than you might think and that being friendly (not to be confused with being a friend) to everyone has benefits beyond what you might see on the surface.
I hope to be able to teach you the concept of consequences so that you don't have to learn the hard way. I hope you hold yourself accountable for your actions (and therefore make smart choices) and that you think to check in with us for advice every once in a while. I know there will be a time when you think we don't know what we're talking about, but I hope that is a short time! :) And keep in mind that we've been there too. I use to hate when people would say that, but it's true. Just think back a year or two, and you already know so much more than you did then. What would make us think that it ever stops? It doesn't seem to. So you might as well take advice from all the people 'who have been there before' - it's at least worth considering.
Most of all, I hope you grow up happy, and that whatever you choose to do in life brings you joy. And just know that whatever you do...wherever you go, I will always love you with all my heart.
Love, your mama.
